9 Ways to Push Yourself Out of Your Comfort Zone
“You never change your life until you step out of your comfort zone; change begins at the end of your comfort zone.” ― Roy T. Bennett
Who doesn’t like to feel comfortable? It’s only natural. But, perhaps, you feel like you’re TOO comfortable. Maybe you’ve become set in your ways or afraid to take a risk. Maybe you feel as if you’re not growing or advancing. Maybe you feel like there is more for you out there.
If that’s the case, it might be time to get out of your comfort zone. Of course, that’s sometimes easier said than done – but here are a few ideas to help you!
- Change Up Your Routine: Do you have a routine? Maybe it revolves around work, your kids, or errands. But have you thought about changing it up? Heading to a new coffee shop? Joining a new gym? Seeking out new activities for your family? A change in routine can introduce you to new things. And, yes, it’s a small step to getting outside of your comfort zone.
- Take On Your Fears: Do you have some fears? Maybe you have a fear of crowds? Or of public speaking? So why not face them head-on? With some practice, you may find that you can overcome your fears – and this can lead to success in other portions of your life, too.
- Relinquish Control: Everyone likes to have some control over situations. But it’s not always possible – and sometimes you just have to relinquish control. But remember: You don’t require control to be happy or to enjoy things – so let others take the lead. You might find that you like your new role as a supporter or participant even more.
- Try Something New: There’s nothing like plunging yourself into something new to break out of your comfort zone. Try a new class. Drive someplace new on the weekend. Try a new recipe. This is another area where small steps can lead to big change.
- Say “Yes”: Do you find yourself saying “No” more often than you say, “Yes”? Perhaps because saying “Yes” would thrust you into a new situation? Then it’s time to say “Yes” to some things. The next time someone asks you to join in or try something new – just do it!
- Consider Other Points of View: Considering other points of view is not always easy. But if you can listen with an open mind and open heart, you may find that you expose yourself to new things – which can lead to exploration in other parts of your life.
- Make a Spur of the Moment Decision: If you find yourself being quite comfortable currently, you probably don’t make a lot of spur-of-the-moment decisions. You like to make plans and then follow through with those plans. But deciding to do something on a whim can open you up to new possibilities – so give it a try!
- Create Challenges for Yourself: Do you like challenges? Then create one for yourself – and go for it! It could be one that helps you overcome your fears – or just something you thought you’d never do!
- Make a New Friend: When was the last time you made a new friend? How about making one now? And then find out what their interests are – and ask if you can join in. New friends can bring in new activities – and you just might like it!
Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone might be a little scary, but it doesn’t have to be. You can take some steps and try some of these ideas to help you do it!