Top 10 Places to Meet Friends as an Adult
Life has pulled you in so many directions, and the things that used to interest you don’t anymore. You want to have a social life and meet people, but the bar scene isn’t where you want to go. Staying at the house is great every now and then, but it’s also nice to get out and see people, too. Find new hobbies, and seek out groups that like the same things that you do. Do a quick search online to see if there are existing groups in your area. Here are ten places to meet friends as an adult!
- Sports League: If you’re looking to be active, and want to get out and meet people, then join a local sports league. You don’t have to be an expert or even an intermediate player to join. Most of the time, they need willing and able people that want to have fun. It’s an easy way to get your exercise in, with scheduled practices and games. During practice, you’ll have time to talk and bond with others who are on the team. After games, you can go out with the group to celebrate a win, or console each other over a loss. It breaks down the barriers and gives you a fast way to make friendships.
- Church: Religious organizations have done a great job at bringing people together. They usually have small groups to bring people together to get to know each other better. There are weekly functions and activities for the entire family. Making friends becomes easier when you have similar beliefs. You have similar priorities, similar foundations, and similar responses to outcomes.
- Mutual Friends: Do you have a few great friends? Odds are, they have more great friends. Have a dinner party and ask your friends to bring a guest. Mix and mingle to see where you have commonalities. Your small group of friends can immediately multiply and become a large group of friends.
- Ballroom Dancing: Ballroom or latin dancing is one of the most fun ways to break out of your comfort zone and meet people. Most dance studios have a weekly dance night that is open to the public. Before the night begins, they offer a brief dance lesson, and then cut you loose to have a great time. You don’t have to be an expert to have a fun while dancing. It’s fun, it opens up conversations easily, and it gets you moving.
- Apps: The internet can be a great avenue to meet people. Meet Up is an app that’s specifically designed to introduce you to people who have similar interests. It matches you with people in your area and gives you the opportunity to start the conversation. The end game is to meet up in person for coffee or whatever you decide, to start making connections.
Sure, having work friends can be great, but sometimes you need to step away from people you see every day. You want to find people who have similar interests as you. The best way to do that is to start doing the things that interest you, and meet people through the hobby. You immediately have an ice breaker and can make new lifelong friends.