How to Shop Smart at a Wholesale Club
If you’re looking to save money on groceries, a wholesale grocery store is the place to be! These stores offer discounts on bulk purchases, so you can stock up on your favorite items and save. However, shopping at a wholesale grocery store can be tricky if you’re not familiar with the layout or the prices. Let’s learn how to shop smart at a wholesale grocery store and get the best deals!
- Create a list of what you need: Before you go shopping, make sure to create a list of everything you will need. This will help prevent overbuying and unnecessary expenses.
- Compare unit prices with other stores: Unit prices tell us how much one item costs, which is useful when comparing different options of the same product at different stores. For example, if we want to buy peanut butter but don’t know what store sells it cheapest per ounce, then we could look at each option’s unit price instead (and compare them all). Even within a wholesale club, comparing unit prices can be helpful when they have several options of the same product.
- Look for coupons or rebates in the store: Coupons can save you money at wholesale grocery stores. Look for coupons in newspapers and flyers (specially marked for the wholesale club), or ask a cashier if they have any rebates available that day. You may also be able to find them online by searching with keywords like “wholesale,” “grocery,” or even just your city name followed by “coupon.”.
- Get pantry staples here: One of the best things about shopping at a wholesale grocery store is that they often have pantry staples much cheaper than other stores. This means you can stock up on items like rice, pasta, and canned goods, which will help you save money in the long run.
- And take a look at meats and produce: Check the prices of meat and produce at your wholesale grocery store. You can often find some good deals! Just be sure to compare unit prices and look for sales.
- Only buy what you can use: It can be tempting to stock up on items that are discounted at a wholesale grocery store, but it is important not to buy more than what you will actually use. Otherwise, all of those savings may go towards food waste. So before heading out shopping, make sure your pantry is organized and that you have a good grasp on what you already have at home and what you truly need.
- Consider sharing with others: If you’re shopping at a wholesale grocery store, chances are that it is not the only one in your area. Ask friends and family who may have a membership at a different store if they want to go together so everyone can save money on their groceries. You may be able to share certain items which is a win-win for everyone.
- Not everything will be cheaper: Just because bulk items tend to be cheaper doesn’t mean all of them will! Before buying anything big like paper towels or toilet paper, always check the prices. It may be more cost-effective to buy some products at your local grocery store – especially if you don’t have room to store everything at home.
- Take your time: It’s easy to get overwhelmed when shopping at a wholesale grocery store – there’s just so much to choose from! Take your time perusing all of the options before committing to anything.
- Bring a calculator: You’ll need something for calculating prices and whatnot, so bring a calculator along with you when shopping at bulk stores.
- Check if your wholesale store has pickup: Some wholesale stores now will allow you to place an online order and come to the store to pick up – which means they will shop for only what’s on your list. That means no “extras” sliding into your cart as you shop.
When it comes to shopping at your local wholesale club, you’ve got to be smart. Use these tips to help you make smart choices and save some money!