October 2nd is World Smile Day
Do you like to smile? Is smiling your favorite?
Did you know that the first Friday in October each year is World Smile Day®?
And this year, you and the rest of the world get to celebrate it on October 2, 2020!
Do you know how World Smile Day® became a holiday? In 1963, Harvey Ball, a commercial artist from Worcester, Massachusetts, created the smiley face. You know the one – the iconic smiley face!
In 1999, World Smile Day® became official, and people across the globe celebrated by smiling and performing acts of kindness.
Guess what, the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation has a motto, and it’s a good one, “Do an act of kindness, help one person smile.”
Are you ready to celebrate?
The simplest thing to do is smile.
Smile at those around you, and they will smile, too. That’s right, smiling is contagious!
And there are more benefits of smiling:
- Makes us more attractive to others
- Relieves stress
- Elevates our mood
- Helps you stay positive
- Makes you look younger – who doesn’t want that?
- Boosts your immune system
Here’s a little trivia: Did you know smiling is easier than frowning? And, depending on the smile, it takes 5 to 53 muscles to smile. By the way, there are different types of smiles.
On October 2, 2020, use your real smile for good. Spread it around person-to-person, locally, or globally.
Go small or go big!
Bring a smile to those close to you:
- Smile at them
- Write a love note or inspirational note and hide it somewhere where they’ll find it
- Call, text, or instant message someone you haven’t seen or chatted with in awhile
- Scroll through your “Friends” list on social media and send a smiley face to each person
- Send a loved one flowers
- Make someone’s favorite food
- Open your arms wide and give a hug
- Do someone’s least favorite chore for them
- Say, “I appreciate you.”
Make a stranger smile:
- Smile at them
- Hold the door open
- Pay for the coffee for the person behind you in the drive-thru
- Give a sincere compliment
- Leave a huge tip
- Pay it Forward
- Smile at them
- Bring in treats – if someone has an allergy, make them feel included by bringing something they can eat (Original and Double Stuf Oreos are made on a dedicated nut-free line)
- Donate handmade items: quilts, hats, afghans, etc.
- Deliver meals to the homeless
- Use social media to entertain others
- Create a funny TikTok
- Sing “Don’t Worry Be Happy” and post it on Facebook
- Tweet corny jokes
Remember, self-care is a good thing. Spend the evening watching your favorite comedy shows or movies, reading hilarious memes, listening to uplifting music, and telling funny jokes.
Kid jokes are the best!
- Why are fish so smart?
- Because they live in schools!
- What do you call a cheese that’s not yours?
- Nacho cheese!
- What did one eye say to the other eye?
- Between us, something smells!
Let’s not forget dad jokes!
- How do you make a Kleenex dance?
- Put a little boogie in it.
- I used to hate facial hair…but then it grew on me.
- Spring is here! I got so excited I wet my plants.”
Mom jokes put dad jokes to shame!
- “I love my kids. Not enough to flip the fish sticks halfway through cooking, but I love them.”
- “Please excuse the mess; my kids are making memories. Of me yelling at them. To clean up the mess.”
Bringing a smile to someone’s face can go a long way to brightening someone’s day. So, let’s celebrate World Smile Day on October 2nd by doing just that!