How to Keep Your Home Office Organized
Do you have a cluttered home office? More and more people are working from home – and a home office space is becoming a necessity for many. But often, your home office can become messy and disorganized.
Don’t worry! Many people struggle with this same issue. Thankfully, there are many ways to keep your workspace organized and clutter-free – and here are some tips to help!
- Tip #1: Buy a filing cabinet for your home office to store important documents and papers.
- This will help you stay organized but also prevent the clutter from taking over!
- Tip #2: Find an organization system that works best for you.
- Whether it is by color coding, stacking them up neatly with labels on each side, or labeling dividers in manilla folders – find one way (or several!) to organize all of your files, so nothing gets lost.
- Tip #3: Keep your desk clean.
- Again, this is all about minimizing clutter so that everything doesn’t become overwhelming or disorganized. Studies have shown that a clutter-free desk is better for reducing stress levels. (Remember: you can file things away, so they don’t have to sit on your desk.)
- Tip #4. Put up some shelves.
- For those small knick-knacks (which are often what make our home offices feel like “us”), try putting some on shelves around your work area instead of having them strewn across your entire workspace – this will also help define your office area.
- Tip #5: Keep like items together.
- Whether it is having all of your paperclips in one container, keeping pens/pencils in the same place, or even stacking folders neatly – keep similar items together. This will help you find things quickly when you need to get something done – and also make everything look clean and professional, too.
- Tip #6: Keep a trashcan nearby.
- Keeping a small can right beside your workspace will keep clutter at bay. Throw things away immediately instead of letting them linger.
- Tip #7: Keep a recycle bin next to where you sit.
- Want to recycle papers, junk mail, and more? Then have a recycling bin in your office.
- Tip #8: Organize your books.
- If you have a lot of books for your job, make sure they’re organized. You could organize by author, title – or even by color.
- Tip #9 Get rid of junk drawers.
- Keep one and only one junk drawer – and clear out the rest. Have no more than one place for “junk.” Work to put things in their proper place – and only use your junk drawer in case of “emergency.”
- Tip #10: Keep your computer organized.
- Yes, making sure your computer or laptop is organized is essential. Keep folders on your desktop for each project you are currently working on. This way, instead of having tons of files and pictures all over the place, everything is kept in one easily accessible location, so nothing gets lost.
- Tip #10: Stay focused.
- It’s easy to get distracted when you’re at home – whether it’s because there are other things that need attention or because technology provides many distractions (Hello, Social Media!). But when you stay focused, it will also help you stay organized. During the workday – keep your focus on your home office space.
Are you ready to transform your home office? Organization is the key to productivity and efficiency. With these tips, you will be able to organize any space in your home or work life with ease!